Saturday 21 October 2017

My Mother's Kitchen

Click to learn more about the Nauga










In my mother’s kitchen,
(Her daily domain)
I kissed her goodbye
Before I walked to school
While she ironed aprons,
Embroidered pillow cases,
My father’s boxer shorts

Porcelain ducks flew over the sink
Missing the window’s view
Of our maple leaves littering the street
And the dubious neighbours
(Not the ones with the pond filled with koi)
I stood there hours after supper

Beside the well-used stove
Butter tarts and cookies cooled,
Banana bread, coconut cream pie
In the oven, a regular roast,
The room warm with aroma
Of cinnamon and sage

The grey Formica table was in a nook
My dad had fashioned with aqua Naugahyde,
Hiding our barrel of monkeys and puzzles below;
On the weekends, we’d play rummoli
And when my mom got the giggles
We would all follow suit

On the rounded counter, the radio played
“These Boots are made for Walking”
And I would rush and don my little red boots
To dance around the green and grey tiles,
Washed, waxed and buffed to shine               
---
October 21, 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment