Thursday 12 April 2018

Shadows of Memory

The shadows of faded memory 
A muted melange 
Of mauve and wintergreen 
Dangles in the periphery 
Where mothballs preserve 
My daddy's childhood scene  
I see a geometric afghan 
On the nubby davenport 
A raggedy rug beneath my slippers  
A braided mat by the back porch  
Crystal doorknobs are at eye-level  
A pack of peppermints  
In grandma's purse, I spy  
Grandfather puffs upon a pipe 
The cherry smoke curls up 
Toward the rounded light 
The house is small  
No stairs to climb 
Beyond the blinds, 
A tree outside,  
Dims the room in summertime; 
Across the street 
A field for tag and playing  
"Go, go, go, go, go, go, stop" 
And swings that almost reach into  
The scary-high treetops; 
The backyard's where  
The family tent  
Has been unrolled 
A tepee for the children  
Dusty denim in mustard gold 
My parents sleep inside, 
But I can hear my daddy snore  
We tell tales with flash and fingers  
As shadows on the wall  
Mysteriously roar                

No comments:

Post a Comment