Wednesday 7 March 2018

The Piano

The dark upright stood, 
Relatively unnoticed,  
Next to the warm TV; 
Black and white portraits  
Were arranged on top 
Around my father's trophies  
For curling and snooker 
And a Fiddler on the Roof music box; 
The wooden mammoth featured  
In photos for generations, 
Silent in the background, 
Like an 88-year-old in the geriatric wing 
Whose teeth were rarely seen; 
My mother's standard excuse for not 
Fingering its keys more frequently 
Was her daily practice  
Of cooking and cleaning 
From sunrise to sunset; 
It was something to note 
When songs of sunshine and snow 
Drifted through the house; 
When the great grandmother's heart  
Stopped, never to beat again 
There was no discord 
Over which sibling would inherit it; 
Miracle of miracles  
It was mine 
But first the cumbersome lumber 
Was placed in storage 
And then relinquished to a church 
Before, by fate, 
It was finally redeemed 
And I was majorly relieved; 
The centenarian and I  
Are learning new tricks 
After all this time 
I only wish I were a rich gal 
All day long I'd be playing, 
II were a wealthy gal 

No comments:

Post a Comment