Friday 30 March 2018

The Soundtrack of My Life

In my teenaged room 
Walled with paper, paneling and paint 
I listened to the radio 
Bought with money that I earned 
Digging out the earth  
Where our rumpus room would go 

I tried to drown the raucous noise 
Beneath my green shag floor  
Of the prodigals in stereo  
Who challenged the  
'My way or the highway' rules  
As old as Grandpa Joe 

Eight days a week 
I listened to the thumping, 
The harsh discordant beats 
Dreaming I was happy  
With thunderous applause 
And the rose, planted at my feet  

Now I collect the songs 
That made this young girl cry - 
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother; 
Lean on Me; You've Got a Friend; 
Don't Cry Out Loud; 
Bridge Over Troubled Water 

Brittle fingers fumble  
With anthems of my youth 
On worn and yellowed keys
And some melodies I never heard  
(On the countdown or Dick Clark) 
That stretch my songbook's seams       

No comments:

Post a Comment